Uxbridge Cemetery Database : Information for Forsyth Cemetery, Glasgow, Uxbridge Twp


Taken form The Churches
of Uxbridge- Scott


Written and illustrated by
Allan McGillivray


Glasgow Methodist Episcopal
Church [ Forsyth Cemetery]


Following the American Revolution
and Independence, the Anglican Church in the United States was dissolved.
The Methodist Societies then organized themselves into the Methodist
Episcopal Church to replace it. From this, the M.E. Church of Canada
grew.


In 1851, a Methodist Chapel,
a frame building, was listed in connection with the property of James
Forsyth at Glasgow. The M.E. trustees there obtained 3/4 of an acre of
land from Mr. Forsyth at this site in 1854. A new church here was dedicated
in February of 1879. This brick church was closed about 1925, and taken
down about 1940. In the early days it was on the Markham circuit, but
in later years it was with Stouffville and Claremont.


The burial ground with this
church was known a Forsyth Cemetery.