Uxbridge Cemetery Database : Information for Bethesda-Scott Cemetery, Uxbridge Twp

From The Churches of Uxbridge-
Scott,


Written and illustrated by
Allan McGillivray


Bethesda- Bible Christian –
Leasksdale


The Bible Christian Church
was started in England by William O’Bryan, and concentrated on evangelism.


Early Bible Christian records
for this area begin with the Scott Mission which was first mentioned
in records in 1857. In that year, land was given by John Tiffen for
the erection of a chapel on the west end of lot 24, concession VII,
Scott Township. Those who gave five dollars towards the chapel
fund got in return a 6 by 16 feet plot in the burial ground. A frame
building, 30 by 42 feet, with a stone foundation was erected. It had
a seating capacity of 300. A frame parsonage for Bethesda was built
just north of Leaskdale on the west side of the road in 1866, and still
stands today as a private residence. In 1876, Rev. Mallett, who lived
in the Scott Parsonage, reported that he went four miles south to Zion
on Sunday mornings, then back to Bethesda four miles north, then full
speed south to the Village of Uxbridge.


Following union in 1883-84,
the Bethesda congregation became connected with the Udora Canada Methodist
Church on the Vroomanton circuit.