Uxbridge Cemetery Database : Information for Sacred Heart Cemetery, Uxbridge Twp

Sacred Heart of Jesus Catholic Church- Uxbridge


From The Churches of Uxbridge-Scott, written and illustrated by Allan McGillivrary.


Not many of the settlers in Uxbridge-Scott were Catholic. In 1842, only about four per cent were identified with that Church. The first Catholic Parish in the area was established in Brock Township in 1854. Before 1865, the Catholics in Uxbridge held services in the home of Michael O’Neil, which was at the north-west corner of Toronto and Brock Streets. By 1862, Father Braire from Brock had helped them to obtain land and in 1864 a brick building was erected and furnished for $2,000 on Toronto Street North. The first Mass was held there in February of 1865.


A Rectory was build beside the Catholic Church in 1876. This residence was taken down in 1977 to make way for a newer one.


In 1883, a large town bell was lost when fire burned part of the north side of Brock Street. Rev. Luke Allain with the help of all denominations in Uxbridge purchased a new bell to replace it. In 1893, a tower was raised on the Church to hold this bell.


The Uxbridge Catholic Church, Sacred Heart of Jesus, became independent in 1897.


The older brick church was taken down in 1963, and a larger, modern one was built on the same site. During the building period, Parish services were held in the chapel of St. John’s Training School. The first Mass conducted in the new church on June 5, 1964.


The Catholic Cemetery is located on Cemetery Road south-west of Uxbridge.


*     *     *     *



  • The first known internment was Oscar J. O’NEILL who died Nov.3, 1873, 10 days old

  • This cemetery is still in use

  • The property for the Uxbridge Church was secured on November 10, 1862, lots #125, #126 from Matthew Stone and Julia Stone. Joseph Gould still held the mortgage, which was paid off by November 7, 1864.

  • In 1883 pastor, Father Allain fenced in the fenced in the church and rectory at Uxbridge and the graveyard in Markham. In addition, that year a quarter acre was added to the Markham cemetery. The donor was William Nash, who is buried in Markham (on Rouge Street)